Re: I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I'd like to discuss scaleout at PGCon
Date: 2018-06-23 02:17:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 01:28:58PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > What we don't want to do is to add a bunch of sharding-specific code
> > without knowing which workloads it benefits, and how many of our users
> > will actually use sharding. Some projects have it done that, and it
> > didn't end well since they then had a lot of product complexity with
> > little user value.
>
> Key features from my perspective:
> *) fdw in parallel. how do i do it today? ghetto implemented parallel
> queries with asynchronous dblink

Andres has outlined what needs to be done here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180525033538.6ypfwcqcxce6zkjj%40alap3.anarazel.de

> *) column store

This could be part of the plugable storage engine.

> *) automatic partition management through shards

Yes, but I am afraid we need to know where we are going before we can
implement management.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +