Re: Incorrect error message in InitializeSessionUserId

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dmitriy Sarafannikov <d(dot)sarafannikov(at)bk(dot)ru>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Incorrect error message in InitializeSessionUserId
Date: 2016-03-04 01:45:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:21 AM, Dmitriy Sarafannikov
<d(dot)sarafannikov(at)bk(dot)ru> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have found incorrect error message in InitializeSessionUserId function
> if you try to connect to database by role Oid (for example
> BackgroundWorkerInitializeConnectionByOid).
> If role have no permissions to login, you will see error message like this:
> FATAL: role "(null)" is not permitted to log in
>
> I changed few lines of code and fixed this.
> Patch is attached.
> I want to add this patch to commitfest.
> Any objections?

The patch adds the support of taking the role name from the role tuple
instead of using the provided rolename variable, because it is possible
that rolename variable is NULL if the connection is from a background
worker.

The patch is fine, I didn't find any problems, I marked it as ready for
committer.

IMO this patch may need to backpatch supported branches as it is
a bug fix. Committer can decide.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia