Re: Pluggable storage

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable storage
Date: 2017-08-12 05:04:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera <
> alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I have sent the partial patch I have to Hari Babu Kommi. We expect that
> >> he will be able to further this goal some more.
> >

> > Thanks Alvaro for sharing your development patch.
> >
> > Most of the patch design is same as described by Alvaro in the first mail
> > [1].
> > I will detail the modifications, pending items and open items (needs
> > discussion)
> > to implement proper pluggable storage.
> >
> > Here I attached WIP patches to support pluggable storage. The patch
> series
> > are may not work individually. Still so many things are under
> development.
> > These patches are just to share the approach of the current development.
> >

> +typedef struct StorageAmRoutine
> +{
>
> In this structure, you have already covered most of the API's that a
> new storage module needs to provide, but I think there could be more.
> One such API could be heap_hot_search. This seems specific to current
> heap where we have the provision of HOT. I think we can provide a new
> API tuple_search or something like that.

Thanks for the review.

Yes, the storageAmRoutine needs more function pointers. Currently I am
adding all the functions that are present in the heapam.h and some slot
related function from tuptable.h. Once I stabilize the code and API's that
are
currently added, then I will further enhance it with remaining functions
that
are necessary to support pluggable storage API.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia