Re: Pluggable storage

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable storage
Date: 2017-08-08 04:21:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have sent the partial patch I have to Hari Babu Kommi. We expect that
>> he will be able to further this goal some more.
>

> Thanks Alvaro for sharing your development patch.
>
> Most of the patch design is same as described by Alvaro in the first mail
> [1].
> I will detail the modifications, pending items and open items (needs
> discussion)
> to implement proper pluggable storage.
>
> Here I attached WIP patches to support pluggable storage. The patch series
> are may not work individually. Still so many things are under development.
> These patches are just to share the approach of the current development.

+typedef struct StorageAmRoutine
+{

In this structure, you have already covered most of the API's that a
new storage module needs to provide, but I think there could be more.
One such API could be heap_hot_search. This seems specific to current
heap where we have the provision of HOT. I think we can provide a new
API tuple_search or something like that.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.