Re: pg_stat_wal_write statistics view

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_wal_write statistics view
Date: 2017-03-27 02:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> >> +1. I think it will be useful to observe WAL activity.
> >

> > Thanks for your opinion.

> Nullable

> --+----------+---------

> >> So, here is *write_time* the total time system has spent in WAL
> >> writing before the last reset?
> >

> > total write_time spent in WAL writing "after" the last reset in
> > milliseconds.
> >
> >> I think there should be a separate column for write and sync time.
> >>

> > Added.

> >> I feel separate view is better.
> >

> > Ok.
> >
> > Following the sample out of the view after regress run.
> >
> > postgres=# select * from pg_stat_walwrites;
> > -[ RECORD 1 ]--+------------------------------
> > backend_writes | 19092
> > writes | 663
> > write_blocks | 56116
> > write_time | 0
> > sync_time | 3064
> > stats_reset | 2017-02-15 13:37:09.454314+11
> >
> > Currently, writer, walwriter and checkpointer processes
> > are considered as background processes that can do
> > the wal write mainly.

Thanks for the review.

I'm not sure if this categorization is good. You told that this view is
> useful
> to tune walwriter parameters at the top of this thread. If so, ISTM that
> the information about walwriter's activity should be separated from others.

Yes, that's correct. First I thought of providing the statistics of
walwriter, but
later in development, it turned into showing statistics of all wal write
activity
of background processes also to differentiate the actual write by the
backends.

> What about other processes which *can* write WAL, for example walsender
> (e.g., BASE_BACKUP can cause WAL record), startup process (e.g., end-of-
> recovery checkpoint) and logical replication worker (Not sure if it always
> works with synchronous_commit=off, though). There might be other processes
> which can write WAL

It is possible to add the walsender, stratup and other processes easily,
but not
background workers that does some wal write operations until unless they
report the stats with pgstat_report_stat(). Is it fine to ignore the
workers that
does not report the stats?

> Why didn't you separate "write_blocks", "write_time" and "sync_time" per
> the process category, like "backend_writes" and "writes"?

Ok. I will add those columns.

> This view doesn't seem to take into consideration the WAL writing and
> flushing
> during creating new WAL segment file.
>
> I think that it's better to make this view report also the number of WAL
> pages
> which are written when wal_buffer is full. This information is useful to
> tune the size of wal_buffers. This was proposed by Nagayasu before.
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4FF824F3.5090407@uptime.jp

Ok. But this new column just shows how many times the WAL buffers are
flushed
because of wal buffers are full. Not the WAL pages that are actually
flushed because
of wal buffers full as a separate column.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia