Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Show more processes in pg_stat_activity.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Show more processes in pg_stat_activity.
Date: 2017-03-27 02:20:17
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> Show more processes in pg_stat_activity.
>
> Previously, auxiliary processes and background workers not connected
> to a database (such as the logical replication launcher) weren't
> shown. Include them, so that we can see the associated wait state
> information. Add a new column to identify the processes type, so that
> people can filter them out easily using SQL if they wish.
>
> Before this patch was written, there was discussion about whether we
> should expose this information in a separate view, so as to avoid
> contaminating pg_stat_activity with things people might not want to
> see. But putting everything in pg_stat_activity was a more popular
> choice, so that's what the patch does.
>
> Kuntal Ghosh, reviewed by Amit Langote and Michael Paquier. Some
> revisions and bug fixes by me.

- /* Report to pgstat that this process is a WAL sender */
- pgstat_report_activity(STATE_RUNNING, "walsender");
+ /* Report to pgstat that this process is running */
+ pgstat_report_activity(STATE_RUNNING, NULL);

Perhaps this bit should just be removed? We added it to make the
process show in pg_stat_activity, and with this patch it does show up
even without this call.
--
Michael