Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Asim R P <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2019-03-21 04:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:43 PM Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 2:13 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While 0001 is pretty bulky, the interesting bits concentrate on a
>> comparatively small area. I'd appreciate if somebody could give the
>> comments added in tableam.h a read (both on callbacks, and their
>> wrappers, as they have different audiences). It'd make sense to first
>> read the commit message, to understand the goal (and I'd obviously also
>> appreciate suggestions for improvements there as well).
>>
>> I'm pretty happy with the current state of the scan patch. I plan to do
>> two more passes through it (formatting, comment polishing, etc. I don't
>> know of any functional changes needed), and then commit it, lest
>> somebody objects.
>>

> I found couple of typos in the committed patch, attached patch fixes them.
> I am not sure about one typo, please check it once.
>
> And I reviewed the 0002 patch, which is a pretty simple and it can be
> committed.

As you are modifying the 0003 patch for modify API's, I went and reviewed
the
existing patch and found couple corrections that are needed, in case if you
are not
taken care of them already.

+ /* Update the tuple with table oid */
+ slot->tts_tableOid = RelationGetRelid(relation);
+ if (slot->tts_tableOid != InvalidOid)
+ tuple->t_tableOid = slot->tts_tableOid;

The setting of slot->tts_tableOid is not required in this function,
After set the check is happening, the above code is present in both
heapam_heap_insert and heapam_heap_insert_speculative.

+ slot->tts_tableOid = RelationGetRelid(relation);

In heapam_heap_update, i don't think there is a need to update
slot->tts_tableOid.

+ default:
+ elog(ERROR, "unrecognized heap_update status: %u", result);

heap_update --> table_update?

+ default:
+ elog(ERROR, "unrecognized heap_delete status: %u", result);

same as above?

+ /*hari FIXME*/
+ /*Assert(result != HeapTupleUpdated && hufd.traversed);*/

Removing the commented codes in both ExecDelete and ExecUpdate functions.

+ /**/
+ if (epqreturnslot)
+ {
+ *epqreturnslot = epqslot;