Re: unused_oids script is broken with bsd sed

From: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unused_oids script is broken with bsd sed
Date: 2018-04-25 14:55:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/25/18, Stas Kelvich <s(dot)kelvich(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> On 25 Apr 2018, at 17:18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think we should rewrite
>> both of them to use the Catalog.pm infrastructure.
>
> Okay, seems reasonable. I'll put shared code in Catalog.pm and
> update patch.

I don't think you need any new code in Catalog.pm, I believe the
suggestion was just to use that module as a stable interface to the
data. Looking at your patch, I'll mention that we have an idiom for
extracting #define'd OID symbols, e.g.:

my $FirstBootstrapObjectId = Catalog::FindDefinedSymbol(
'access/transam.h', \(at)include_path, 'FirstBootstrapObjectId');

This is preferred over using awk, which would have its own portability
issues (Windows for starters).

While I'm thinking out loud, it might be worthwhile to patch genbki.pl
for the duplicate test, since they're run at the same time anyway (see
catalog/Makefile), and we've already read all the data.

-John Naylor