Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes

From: Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes
Date: 2022-10-14 21:46:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 3:51 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Attached is the merged patch from all the great comments I received. I
> have also rebuilt the docs with the updated patch:
>
> https://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/

+ <command>RELEASE SAVEPOINT</command> also subcommits and destroys
+ all savepoints that were established after the named savepoint was
+ established. This means that any subtransactions of the named savepoint
+ will also be subcommitted and destroyed.

Wonder if we should be more explicit that data changes are preserved,
not destroyed... something like:
"This means that any changes within subtransactions of the named
savepoint will be subcommitted and those subtransactions will be
destroyed."

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net