Re: Postgres restore issue

From: Narayanan V <vnarayanan(dot)email(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, avaidyanathaswamy(at)corelogic(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres restore issue
Date: 2018-10-27 19:30:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Anand,

I was unsuccessful in trying to reproduce this with a database and pg_dump
from 8.3.7 and a pg_restore of 8.4.22.

I do get the following error during the restore on an empty database,
however,
I think we can safely ignore this.

pg_restore: dropping TABLE employees
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 1465; 1259 16391 TABLE
employees kannan
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: table
"employees" does not exist
Command was: DROP TABLE public.employees;

As evident the above error happens because the employees table does not
exist in an empty database.

I think I would follow Heikki's comments and check for errors during the
schema restore first.

Although I am not sure it would make much of a difference I would suggest
you try the --create (-C)
option. Please note that this option tries to delete and re-create the
database itself hence you will
need to supply some other database to the -d option.

Thank you,
Narayanan