Re: Improve the connection failure error messages

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Improve the connection failure error messages
Date: 2024-01-12 13:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Thanks for the patch.

> Due to this behavior, it is not possible to add a test to show the
> error message as it is done for CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.
> Let me know if you think there is another way to add this test.

I believe it can be done with TAP tests, see for instance:

contrib/auto_explain/t/001_auto_explain.pl

However I wouldn't insist on including the test in scope of this
particular patch. Such a test doesn't currently exist, it can be added
as a separate patch, and whether this is actually a useful test (all
the tests consume time after all...) is somewhat debatable. Personally
I agree that it would be nice to have though.

This being said...

> The ALTER SUBSCRIPTION command does not error out on the user
> interface if updated with a bad connection string and the connection
> failure error can only be seen in the respective log file.

I wonder if we should fix this. Again, not necessarily in scope of
this work, but if this is not a difficult task, again, it would be
nice to have.

Other than that v2 looks good.

--
Best regards,