Re: Improve the connection failure error messages

From: Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Improve the connection failure error messages
Date: 2024-01-19 05:54:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 7:06 PM Aleksander Alekseev
<aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the patch.
>
> > Due to this behavior, it is not possible to add a test to show the
> > error message as it is done for CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.
> > Let me know if you think there is another way to add this test.
>
> I believe it can be done with TAP tests, see for instance:
>
> contrib/auto_explain/t/001_auto_explain.pl
>
> However I wouldn't insist on including the test in scope of this
> particular patch. Such a test doesn't currently exist, it can be added
> as a separate patch, and whether this is actually a useful test (all
> the tests consume time after all...) is somewhat debatable. Personally
> I agree that it would be nice to have though.
Thank you for providing this information. Yes, I can write a TAP test
to check the log for the same error message.
I'll attempt it and perform a time analysis. I'm unsure where to
appropriately add this test. Any suggestions?

Following your suggestion, I won't include the test in the scope of
this patch. Instead, I'll start a new thread once I have sufficient
information required.

--
Thanks,
Nisha