Re: Remove backend warnings from SSL tests

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Remove backend warnings from SSL tests
Date: 2023-07-19 12:53:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> When looking at a patch in the CFBot I realized that the SSL tests generate
> backend warnings under ENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS

Good catch. I can confirm that the patch corrects the named WARNINGs
appearing with:

CPPFLAGS="-DENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS"

There are plenty of similar warnings left however.

Before:

```
$ grep -r WARNING ./build/ 2>/dev/null | grep 'regression test cases
should have names' | wc -l
463
```

After:

```
$ grep -r WARNING ./build/ 2>/dev/null | grep 'regression test cases
should have names' | wc -l
403
```

Maybe we should address them too. In order to prevent this from
happening in the future perhaps we should start throwing ERRORs
instead of a WARNINGs and make sure this is tested by cfbot.

Alternatively we could get rid of
ENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS entirely since its practical
value seems to be debatable.

The patch was added to the nearest commitfest [1].

Thoughts?

[1]: https://commitfest.postgresql.org/44/4451/

--
Best regards,