Re: Remove backend warnings from SSL tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: Re: Remove backend warnings from SSL tests
Date: 2023-07-19 13:44:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> writes:
>> When looking at a patch in the CFBot I realized that the SSL tests generate
>> backend warnings under ENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS

> Good catch. I can confirm that the patch corrects the named WARNINGs
> appearing with:
> CPPFLAGS="-DENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS"
> There are plenty of similar warnings left however.

Yeah. We have not worried about making TAP tests clean under this
restriction, because the point of it is to limit the hazards of
running "make installcheck" against a cluster containing useful data.
TAP tests always use one-off test clusters, so there is no hazard
to guard against.

If we wanted to extend the rule to TAP tests as well, I think we'd
have to upgrade the WARNING to an ERROR, because otherwise we'll
never find all the violations. Not clear to me that it's worth
the trouble, though. And it's definitely not worth the trouble to
fix only one TAP suite.

> Alternatively we could get rid of
> ENFORCE_REGRESSION_TEST_NAME_RESTRICTIONS entirely since its practical
> value seems to be debatable.

Strong -1 on that, for the reason given above.