Re: Locale Issue

From: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locale Issue
Date: 2013-08-22 21:25:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP>

> you install the PostgreSQL packages, it runs pg_createcluster for you.
>> If you don't like the locale or encoding you used, you run
>> pg_dropcluster and pg_createcluster as you did. The reason why your
>> database did not work after doing this is probably obvious from your
>> log files.
>>

>> Hi Stuart,
>

> <SNIP>
>

> But I still come back to the locale issue. I am glad I was on the right
> track in replacing the cluster. Still, how could I have made UTF-8 the
> default encoding at install time? Maybe the very first step on a Kubuntu
> system should be to replace the cluster before doing anything else. Or
> maybe there is a locale setting that can be changed to ensure the pgsql
> package gets the 'right' cues?
>

> <SNIP>
I did find a (bit dated) response on the UbuntuForums site, but assume the
basic advice applies:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/20880/how-do-i-create-a-unicode-databases-in-postgresql-8-4

~#export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
~#export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
~#export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
~#locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
~#dpkg-reconfigure locales

The recommendation is to change the OS locale settings and use dpkg to
reconfigure locales *before* recreating the cluster.

I really do think the Ubuntu documentation needs to clarify that.

Finally, I am ever more convinced that a recent update effectively blew up
my connectivity.

--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate