Re: Locale Issue

From: Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Don Parris <parrisdc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locale Issue
Date: 2013-08-22 21:12:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Le jeudi 22 août 2013 à 11:29 -0400, Don Parris a écrit :

> Still, how could I have made UTF-8 the default encoding at install
> time?

I did several recent installations of Postgresql on Debian Wheezy with
UTF8 and LATIN9, and my system's encoding was used every time.

Installation steps outlined below.

Before you install Postgresql, make sure your systems encoding is set to
UTF-8, which you can check with :
locale -a

If it's not, run :
dpkg-reconfigure locales

and select UTF-8 for your language.

Use apt-get to install Postgresql :
apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client

I'm not sure if Kubuntu adds some overhead to the installation process.
You might want to try a regular debian install and add the KDE desktop
to it.

--
Salutations, Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/site/demonstration