Re: Row Level Security Documentation

From: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Row Level Security Documentation
Date: 2017-08-03 14:13:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> Hello Rod,
>
> This version of the table attempts to stipulate which section of the
>> process the rule applies to.
>>

> The table should be referenced from the description, something like "Table
> xxx summarizes the ..."

Added the below which seemed consistent with other "see something else"
messages.

A summary of the application of policies to a command is found in <xref
linkend="SQL-CREATEPOLICY-SUMMARY">.

> ISTM that it would be clearer to split the Policy column into "FOR xxx
> ..." and "USING" or "WITH CHECK", and to merge the rows which have the same
> "FOR xxx ..." contents, something like:
>
> POLICY |
> ---------------+------------+-----
> | USING | ...
> FOR ALL ... +------------+-----
> | WITH CHECK | ...
> ---------------+------------+-----
> FOR SELECT ... | USING | ...
>
> So that it is clear that only ALL & UPDATE can get both USING & WITH
> CHECK. This can be done with "morerows=1" on an entry so that it spans more
> rows.

Done. I couldn't figure out a morecols=1 equivalent to keep everything
under the Policy heading without a full colspec.

> For empty cells, maybe a dash would be clearer. Not sure.

Looked cluttered to me. Tried N/A first which was even worse.

--
Rod Taylor

Attachment Content-Type Size
create_policy.sgml_v3.patch text/x-patch 3.3 KB