Re: name of enum used in 'Cache if PathTarget and RestrictInfos contain volatile functions'

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: name of enum used in 'Cache if PathTarget and RestrictInfos contain volatile functions'
Date: 2021-03-29 05:16:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 1:15 PM Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was looking at:
> Cache if PathTarget and RestrictInfos contain volatile functions
>
> VOLATILITY_NOVOLATILE caught my attention. Since the enum values don't start with HAS, I think VOLATILITY_NONVOLATILE would be easier to read.
> Actually I think since the enums are defined in VolatileFunctionStatus, they can be simply called (the prefix should be redundant):
>
> UNKNOWN
> NONVOLATILE
> VOLATILE

Although it seems like a good idea to remove prefixes, a name as
common as UNKNOWN is going to clash [1] with something else, which
IIUC is why the enums all have prefixes in the first place.

------
[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35380279/avoid-name-collisions-with-enum-in-c-c99

Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.