Re: Add lookup table for replication slot invalidation causes

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add lookup table for replication slot invalidation causes
Date: 2024-02-22 06:30:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 5:19 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi, Sorry for the late comment but isn't the pushed logic now
> different to what it was there before?
>
> IIUC previously (in a non-debug build) if the specified
> conflict_reason was not found, it returned RS_INVAL_NONE -- now it
> seems to return whatever enum happens to be last.
>
> How about something more like below:
>
> ----------
> ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause
> GetSlotInvalidationCause(const char *conflict_reason)
> {
> ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause cause;
> bool found = false;
>
> for (cause = 0; !found && cause <= RS_INVAL_MAX_CAUSES; cause++)
> found = strcmp(SlotInvalidationCauses[cause], conflict_reason) == 0;
>
> Assert(found);
> return found ? cause : RS_INVAL_NONE;
> }
> ----------

Oops. Perhaps I meant more like below -- in any case, the point was
the same -- to ensure RS_INVAL_NONE is what returns if something
unexpected happens.

ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause
GetSlotInvalidationCause(const char *conflict_reason)
{
ReplicationSlotInvalidationCause cause;

for (cause = 0; cause <= RS_INVAL_MAX_CAUSES; cause++)
{
if (strcmp(SlotInvalidationCauses[cause], conflict_reason) == 0)
return cause;
}

Assert(0);
return RS_INVAL_NONE;