Re: Add 'worker_type' to pg_stat_subscription

From: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2023-09-21 00:06:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 9:34 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 08:14:23AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 09:01:01AM +1000, Peter Smith wrote:
> >> One question -- the patch comment still says "Bumps catversion.", but
> >> catversion.h change is missing from the v9 patch?
> >
> > Yeah, previous patches did that, but it is no big deal. My take is
> > that it is a good practice to never do a catversion bump in posted
> > patches, and that it is equally a good practice from Nathan to be
> > reminded about that with the addition of a note in the commit message
> > of the patch posted.
>
> Right, I'll take care of it before committing. I'm trying to make sure I
> don't forget. :)

OK, all good.

~~~

This is a bit of a late entry, but looking at the PG DOCS, I felt it
might be simpler if we don't always refer to every other worker type
when explaining NULLs. The descriptions are already bigger than they
need to be, and if more types ever get added they will keep growing.

~

BEFORE
leader_pid integer
Process ID of the leader apply worker if this process is a parallel
apply worker; NULL if this process is a leader apply worker or a table
synchronization worker

SUGGESTION
leader_pid integer
Process ID of the leader apply worker; NULL if this process is not a
parallel apply worker

~

BEFORE
relid oid
OID of the relation that the worker is synchronizing; NULL for the
leader apply worker and parallel apply workers

SUGGESTION
relid oid
OID of the relation being synchronized; NULL if this process is not a
table synchronization worker

------
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.