Re: \describe*

From: Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: \describe*
Date: 2018-01-29 14:51:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >What I propose is in fact a server command, >which at least three of
> >the other popular RDBMSs already have.

Well to actually implement it, it would probably be a client command,
because that's what \d* are. We would most likely want them implemented
the same, to avoid needless complexity.

I think people are more ok with \describe (with the backslash), which seems
like what you're suggesting anyway. I read Vik's "hard pass" as being on
having DESCRIBE which looks like an SQL command but would actually be
implemented on the client. This seems simpler at first but could cause
deep confusion later.

But \describe gives a hint that it's different with the \, so it might be
fine.

Overall I agree with your idea: the \d* commands are cryptic and a longhand
form would help people learning.

Best,
Ryan