Re: \describe*

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: \describe*
Date: 2018-01-27 23:01:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:54:07PM +0100, Vik Fearing wrote:
> On 01/27/2018 05:39 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> >> Hard pass.
> >
> > Would you be so kind as to expand on this? "Pass" might indicate a
> > lack of interest in doing the work, but "hard pass" seems to indicate
> > that you have reasons the work should not be done. Have I interpreted
> > this correctly?
>
> Andreas said it quite well. I don't like having client commands look
> like server commands. I don't mind exceptions for "help" and "quit",
> but I see no reason for anything more.

I did not propose a client command mimicking a server command. I
thought I made that clear by mentioning that the \ commands are
unavailable to clients other than psql, and offering an alternative.

What I propose is in fact a server command, which at least three of
the other popular RDBMSs already have.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778