Re: MultiXactId wraparound and last aggressive vacuum time

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Michael Schanne <michael(dot)schanne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MultiXactId wraparound and last aggressive vacuum time
Date: 2021-03-23 15:53:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I don't believe you can determine a date/time that it happened, but
querying the age of the table is simple to do and then you can compare that
with the freeze age parameters. A periodic manual vacuum freeze may
preclude the system ever needing to perform the emergency autovacuum
freeze, and as an added benefit, index only scans would be more likely to
be chosen since the visibility map would be updated and the regular
autovacuum runs would be faster since they can skip frozen pages. I think
that applies back to 9.6 at least. It's possible it got implemented in 10.

My caffeine hasn't fully kicked in yet and I am still a bit junior on this
list, but I would hope and expect senior people to correct me if I have
misunderstood or misrepresented things.