Re: MultiXactId wraparound and last aggressive vacuum time

From: Michael Schanne <michael(dot)schanne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MultiXactId wraparound and last aggressive vacuum time
Date: 2021-04-05 21:28:06
Lists: pgsql-general

After a closer reading of the documentation, it appears the database should
stop accepting new transactions before a wraparound would ever occur. If
so, then the only possible explanations for this multixactid wraparound
error would be data corruption, or a bug in postgresql. The exact version
I'm using is 9.6.10, which is quite a few versions behind the latest
(9.6.21), but I skimmed through the release notes of the later versions and
did not see any bugfixes in this area. That would leave data corruption as
the only explanation. Is my reasoning correct here? I'm willing to
upgrade but I would need to justify it somehow, so if I am missing
something please let me know.