Re: creating extension including dependencies

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: creating extension including dependencies
Date: 2015-07-07 13:36:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting tired installing manually required extensions manually. I was
> wondering if we might want to add option to CREATE SEQUENCE that would allow
> automatic creation of the extensions required by the extension that is being
> installed by the user.

I'm wondering how much helpful this feature is. Because, even if we can save
some steps for CREATE EXTENSION by using the feature, we still need to
manually find out, download and install all the extensions that the target
extension depends on. So isn't it better to implement the tool like yum, i.e.,
which performs all those steps almost automatically, rather than the proposed
feature? Maybe it's outside PostgreSQL core.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao