Re: creating extension including dependencies

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: creating extension including dependencies
Date: 2015-07-07 13:41:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-07-07 22:36:29 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am getting tired installing manually required extensions manually. I was
> > wondering if we might want to add option to CREATE SEQUENCE that would allow
> > automatic creation of the extensions required by the extension that is being
> > installed by the user.
>
> I'm wondering how much helpful this feature is. Because, even if we can save
> some steps for CREATE EXTENSION by using the feature, we still need to
> manually find out, download and install all the extensions that the target
> extension depends on. So isn't it better to implement the tool like yum, i.e.,
> which performs all those steps almost automatically, rather than the proposed
> feature? Maybe it's outside PostgreSQL core.

That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Something like yum can't
install everything in all relevant databases. Sure, yum will be used to
install dependencies between extensions on the filesystem level.

At the minimum I'd like to see that CREATE EXTENSION foo; would install
install extension 'bar' if foo dependended on 'bar' if CASCADE is
specified. Right now we always error out saying that the dependency on
'bar' is not fullfilled - not particularly helpful.