Re: remove pg_standby?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remove pg_standby?
Date: 2015-03-02 12:04:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> On 03/02/2015 11:53 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:

>>> As of current 9.5, we have configurable retries and standby delay in
>>> mainstream. Is there some reason we still need pg_standby?
>>

>> Yes, it's not easy to perform "fast failover" without pg_standby for now.
>

> What is "fast failover"?

Per document,

------------------
In fast failover, the server is brought up immediately. Any WAL files
in the archive that have not yet been applied will be ignored, and all
transactions in those files are lost. To trigger a fast failover,
create a trigger file and write the word fast into it. pg_standby can
also be configured to execute a fast failover automatically if no new
WAL file appears within a defined interval.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao