Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date: 2016-04-04 08:28:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Thomas Munro
<thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Thomas Munro
> <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Sorry I attached wrong patch.
>>> Attached patch is correct patch.

Thanks for updating the patch!

I applied the following changes to the patch.
Attached is the revised version of the patch.

- Changed syncrep_flex_fatal() so that it just calls ereport(FATAL), based on
the recent discussion with Horiguchi-san.
- Improved the documentation.
- Fixed some bugs.
- Removed the changes for recovery testing framework. I'd like to commit
those changes later separately from the main patch of multiple sync rep.

Barring any objections, I'll commit this patch.

>> One thing I noticed is that there are LOG messages telling me when a
>> standby becomes a synchronous standby, but nothing to tell me if a
>> standby stops being a standby (ie because a higher priority one has
>> taken its place in the quorum). Would that be interesting?

+1

>> Also, I spotted some tiny mistakes:
>>
>> + <indexterm zone="high-availability">
>> + <primary>Dedicated language for multiple synchornous replication</primary>
>> + </indexterm>
>>
>> s/synchornous/synchronous/

Confirmed that there is no typo "synchornous" in the latest patch.

>> + /*
>> + * If we are managing the sync standby, though we weren't
>> + * prior to this, then announce we are now the sync standby.
>> + */
>>
>> s/ the / a / (two occurrences)

Fixed.

>> + ereport(LOG,
>> + (errmsg("standby \"%s\" is now the synchronous standby with priority %u",
>> + application_name, MyWalSnd->sync_standby_priority)));
>>
>> s/ the / a /

I have no objection to this change itself. But we have used this message
in 9.5 or before, so if we apply this change, probably we need
back-patching.

>> offered by a transaction commit. This level of protection is referred
>> - to as 2-safe replication in computer science theory.
>> + to as 2-safe replication in computer science theory, and group-1-safe
>> + (group-safe and 1-safe) when <varname>synchronous_commit</> is set to
>> + more than <literal>remote_write</>.
>>
>> Why "more than"? I think those two words should be changed to "at
>> least", or removed.

Removed.

>> + <para>
>> + This syntax allows us to define a synchronous group that will wait for at
>> + least N standbys of them, and a comma-separated list of group
>> members that are surrounded by
>> + parantheses. The special value <literal>*</> for server name
>> matches any standby.
>> + By surrounding list of group members using parantheses,
>> synchronous standbys are chosen from
>> + that group using priority method.
>> + </para>
>>
>> s/parantheses/parentheses/ (two occurrences)

Confirmed that this typo doesn't exist in the latest patch.

>> + <sect2 id="dedicated-language-for-multi-sync-replication-priority">
>> + <title>Prioirty Method</title>
>>
>> s/Prioirty Method/Priority Method/

Confirmed that this typo doesn't exist in the latest patch.

> A couple more comments:
>
> /*
> - * If we aren't managing the highest priority standby then just leave.
> + * If the number of sync standbys is less than requested or we aren't
> + * managing the sync standby then just leave.
> */
> - if (syncWalSnd != MyWalSnd)
> + if (!got_oldest || !am_sync)
>
> s/ the sync / a sync /

Fixed.

> + /*
> + * Consider all pending standbys as sync if the number of them plus
> + * already-found sync ones is lower than the configuration requests.
> + */
> + if (list_length(result) + list_length(pending) <= SyncRepConfig->num_sync)
> + return list_concat(result, pending);
>
> The cells from 'pending' will be attached to 'result', and 'result'
> will be freed by the caller. But won't the List header object from
> 'pending' be leaked?

Yes if 'result' is not NIL. I added pfree(pending) for that case.

> + result = lappend_int(result, i);
> + if (list_length(result) == SyncRepConfig->num_sync)
> + {
> + list_free(pending);
> + return result; /* Exit if got enough sync standbys */
> + }
>
> If we didn't take the early return in the list-not-long-enough case
> mentioned above, we should *always* exit via this return statement,
> right? Since we know that the pending list had enough elements to
> reach num_sync. I think that is worth a comment, and also a "not
> reached" comment at the bottom of the function, if it is true.

Good catch! I added the comments. Also added Assert(false) at
the bottom of the function.

> As a future improvement, I wonder if we could avoid recomputing the
> current set of sync standbys in every walsender every time we call
> SyncRepReleaseWaiters, perhaps by maintaining that set incrementally
> in shmem when walsender states change etc.

+1

> I don't have any other comments, other than to say: thank you to all
> the people who have contributed to this feature so far and I really
> really hope it goes into 9.6!

+1000

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
multi_sync_replication_v22.patch text/x-patch 47.0 KB