Re: FPW compression leaks information

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FPW compression leaks information
Date: 2015-07-08 02:33:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 11:34 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> * Fujii Masao (masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>> > I'm not following. If we don't want the information to be available to
>> > everyone then we need to limit it, and right now the only way to do that
>> > is to restrict it to superuser because we haven't got anything more
>> > granular.
>>
>> A user can very easily limit such information by not enabling wal_compression.
>> No need to restrict the usage of WAL location functions.
>> Of course, as Michael suggested, we need to make the parameter SUSET
>> so that only superuser can change the setting, though.
>
> I agree with making it SUSET, but that doesn't address the issue.

ISTM that one our consensus is to make wal_compression SUSET
as the first step whatever approach we adopt for the risk in question
later. So, barring any objection, I will commit the attached patch
and change the context to PGC_SUSET.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Attachment Content-Type Size
make_wal_compression_suset.patch text/x-patch 900 bytes