Re: logical replication and PANIC during shutdown checkpoint in publisher

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical replication and PANIC during shutdown checkpoint in publisher
Date: 2017-04-13 03:28:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 4/12/17 09:55, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> To fix this issue, we should terminate walsender for logical replication
>> before shutdown checkpoint starts. Of course walsender for physical
>> replication still needs to keep running until shutdown checkpoint ends,
>> though.
>
> Can we turn it into a kind of read-only or no-new-commands mode instead,
> so it can keep streaming but not accept any new actions?

So we make walsenders switch to that mode and wait for all the already-ongoing
their "write" commands to finish, and then we start a shutdown checkpoint?
This is an idea, but seems a bit complicated. ISTM that it's simpler to
terminate only walsenders for logical rep before shutdown checkpoint.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao