Re: Enhancements to passwordcheck

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhancements to passwordcheck
Date: 2017-09-26 01:36:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Currently, the passwordcheck module provides a few basic checks to strengthen
> passwords. However, any configuration must be ready at compile time, and many
> common password requirements cannot be enforced without creating a custom
> version of this module. I think there are a number of useful parameters that
> could be added to enable common password restrictions, including the following
> list, which is based on some asks from our customers:
>
> passwordcheck.min_password_length
> passwordcheck.min_uppercase_letters
> passwordcheck.min_lowercase_letters
> passwordcheck.min_numbers
> passwordcheck.min_special_chars

+1.

> passwordcheck.superuser_can_bypass

It is not clear if it will bypass the checks for (i) a new superuser
or (ii) a superuser creating a new role. I wouldn't recommend using
such option even tough it is a common practice.

> passwordcheck.max_expiry_period

How would you enforce that? If the password expires, you can log in to
change the password. If you let him/her to get in and change the
password, you can't obligate the user to do that. You could send a
message to remember that the password will expire but you can't
enforce that (unless you make a change in the protocol).

> passwordcheck.force_new_password

Does it mean a password different from the old one? +1. It could be
different from the last 3 passwords but we don't store a password
history.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/