Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Adrien Nayrat <adrien(dot)nayrat(at)anayrat(dot)info>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: roll pg_stat_statements into core
Date: 2019-09-02 13:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em seg, 2 de set de 2019 às 05:11, Adrien Nayrat
<adrien(dot)nayrat(at)anayrat(dot)info> escreveu:

> On 9/1/19 8:54 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> - The overhead for most use cases is low compared to the benefit.
> > Please do not expect that we're going to accept such assertions
> > unsupported by evidence. (As a very quick-n-dirty test, I tried
> > "pgbench -S" and got somewhere around 4% TPS degradation with
> > pg_stat_statements loaded. That doesn't seem negligible.)
>
> AFAIR Andres pointed overhead could be much more when you have more queries than
> pg_stat_statements.max [1]. Eviction can be costly.

pg_stat_statements is important in a lot of query analysis. If you
make a comparison between pg_stat_statements and pgbadger, you can
capture queries for the latter changing log_min_duration_statement or
log_statement without restart the server, however, the former you
can't without restarting the server. At least if pg_stat_statements
was in core you could load it by default and have a GUC to turn it
on/off without restarting the server (that was Magnus proposal and
Andres agreed). I support this idea. In v10 we changed some GUCs to
perform replication out-of-box; we should do the same for query
analysis.

Regards,

--
Euler Taveira Timbira -