Re: Set fallback_application_name for a walreceiver to cluster_name

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set fallback_application_name for a walreceiver to cluster_name
Date: 2019-02-21 00:36:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Em sex, 8 de fev de 2019 às 05:16, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> escreveu:

> By default, the fallback_application_name for a physical walreceiver is
> "walreceiver". This means that multiple standbys cannot be
> distinguished easily on a primary, for example in pg_stat_activity or
> synchronous_standby_names.

Although standby identification could be made by client_addr in
pg_stat_activity, it could be useful in multiple clusters in the same
host. Since it is a fallback application name, it can be overridden by
an application_name in primary_conninfo parameter.

> I propose, if cluster_name is set, use that for
> fallback_application_name in the walreceiver. (If it's not set, it
> remains "walreceiver".) If someone set cluster_name to identify their
> instance, we might as well use that by default to identify the node
> remotely as well. It's still possible to specify another
> application_name in primary_conninfo explicitly.

I tested it and both patches work as described. Passes all tests. Doc
describes the proposed feature. Doc builds without errors.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/