Re: pg_dump ignoring information_schema tables which used in Create Publication.

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump ignoring information_schema tables which used in Create Publication.
Date: 2017-05-27 01:46:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:

> You cannot publish a system catalog. But a user-created table in
> information_schema is not a system catalog.

Replication of information_schema tables works. However, pg_dump doesn't
include information_schema tables into CREATE PUBLICATION command
(user-defined information_schema tables aren't included in pg_dump even
*before* logical replication). IMO allow publish/subscribe of tables into
information_schema is harmless (they aren't special tables like catalogs).
Also, how many people would create real tables into information_schema?
Almost zero. Let's leave it alone. Since pg_dump doesn't document that
information_schema isn't dumped, I think we shouldn't document this for
logical replication.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira -
http://www.timbira.com.br/