From: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Önder Kalacı <onderkalaci(at)gmail(dot)com>, japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row filtering for logical replication
Date: 2021-07-23 08:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 8:36 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 8:29 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 8:06 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> [1]

> tuple
> > >
> > > But what sort of restrictions? I mean we can not put based on data
> > > type right that will be too restrictive,
> > >

> > Yeah, data type restriction sounds too restrictive and unless the data
> > is toasted, the data will be anyway available. I think such kind of
> > restriction should be the last resort but let's try to see if we can
> > do something better.
> >
> > > other option is only to allow
> > > replica identity keys columns in the filter condition?
> > >

> > Yes, that is what I had in mind because if key column(s) is changed
> > then we will have data for both old and new tuples. But if it is not
> > changed then we will have it probably for the old tuple unless we
> > decide to fix the bug you mentioned in a different way in which case
> > we might either need to log it for the purpose of this feature (but
> > that will be any way for HEAD) or need to come up with some other
> > solution here. I think we can't even fetch such columns data during
> > decoding because we have catalog-only historic snapshots here. Do you
> > have any better ideas?
> >

> BTW, I wonder how pglogical can handle this because if these unchanged
> toasted values are not logged in WAL for the new tuple then how the
> comparison for such columns will work? Either they are forcing WAL in
> some way or don't allow WHERE clause on such columns or maybe they
> have dealt with it in some other way unless they are unaware of this
> problem.

The column comparison for row filtering happens before the unchanged toast
columns are filtered. Unchanged toast columns are filtered just before
writing the tuple
to output stream. I think this is the case both for pglogical and the
proposed patch.
So, I can't see why the not logging of unchanged toast columns would be a
problem
for row filtering. Am I missing something?

Thank you,
Rahila Syed