Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
Date: 2021-10-06 06:21:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 11:00 PM Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think that ideally pg_amcheck should not fail on a live database, that
> does not contain corrupted data, and should not affect the database
> usage by other users (as it's "only a check").

I agree that that's ideal. As you said, one or two narrow exceptions
may need to be made -- cases where there is unavoidable though weird
ambiguity (and not a report of true corruption). Overall the user
should never see failure from pg_amcheck unless the database is
corrupt, or unless things are defined in a pretty odd way, that
creates ambiguity. Ordinary DDL certainly doesn't count as unusual
here.

--
Peter Geoghegan