Re: found xmin from before relfrozenxid on pg_catalog.pg_authid

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: found xmin from before relfrozenxid on pg_catalog.pg_authid
Date: 2018-03-23 00:11:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am running this on a san snapshot of our production system. I assume that
> this will give me a valid check for file-system-level corruption. I am
> going to kick it off and see if I find anything interesting.

It might. Note that SAN snapshots might have corruption hazards,
though. Postgres expects crash consistency across all filesystems, so
you might run into trouble if you had a separate filesystem for WAL,
for example. I know that LVM snapshots only provide a consistent view
of a single logical volume, even though many LVM + Postgres setups
will involve multiple logical volumes. This makes it possible for a
small inconsistency across logical volumes to corrupt data.

I don't know anything about your SAN snapshotting, but this is at
least something to consider.

--
Peter Geoghegan