Re: annoyance with .git-blame-ignore-revs

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: annoyance with .git-blame-ignore-revs
Date: 2022-08-05 00:35:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 12:30 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> $ git blame configure
> fatal: could not open object name list: .git-blame-ignore-revs
>
> My first workaround was to add empty .git-blame-ignore-revs in all
> checkouts. This was moderately ok (shrug), until after a recent `tig`
> upgrade the empty file started to show up in the history as an untracked
> file.

Ping? Would be nice to get this done soon. I don't think that it
requires a great deal of care. If I was doing this myself, I would
probably make sure that the backbranch copies of the file won't
reference commits from later releases. But even that probably doesn't
matter; just backpatching the file from HEAD as-is wouldn't break
anybody's workflow.

Again, to reiterate: I see no reason to do anything on the
backbranches here more than once.

I mentioned already that somebody proposed a patch that fixes the
problem at the git level, which seems to have stalled. Here is the
discussion:

https://public-inbox.org/git/xmqq5ywehb69(dot)fsf(at)gitster(dot)g/T/

ISTM that we're working around what is actually a usability problem
with git (imagine that!). I think that that's fine. Just thought that
it was worth acknowledging it as such. We're certainly not the first
people to run into this exact annoyance.

--
Peter Geoghegan