Re: CREATE COLLATION does not sanitize ICU's BCP 47 language tags. Should it?

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE COLLATION does not sanitize ICU's BCP 47 language tags. Should it?
Date: 2017-10-01 18:26:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm still pondering committing my documentation patch I had posted, and
> I've been reviewing your patches to see if there is anything else
> documentation-wise that could be added.

-1 from me -- I don't think we should tell users about the deprecated
locale format at all.

I hope that ICU continue to support the deprecated locale string
format within ucol_open() into the future, and that users will only
ever use BCP 47 within CREATE COLLATION (as the 'locale' string).
Perhaps it won't matter that much in the end, and will turn out to be
more of a wart than something that causes pain for users. It's hard to
predict.

> As I had mentioned before, I disagree with the substance of the
> functionality changes you are proposing, and I think it would be way too
> late to make such significant changes. The general community opinion
> also seems to be in favor of letting things be.

It does seem too late. It's disappointing that we did not do better
here. This problem was entirely avoidable.

--
Peter Geoghegan