Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date: 2017-02-09 07:06:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:31 AM, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> SEGFAULT was the coding mistake I have called the C-language function
> directly without initializing the functioncallinfo. Thanks for
> raising. Below patch fixes same.

It would be nice if this had an option to preload only internal B-tree
pages into shared_buffers. They're usually less than 1% of the total
pages in a B-Tree, and are by far the most frequently accessed. It's
reasonable to suppose that much of the random I/O incurred when
warming the cache occurs there. Now, prewarming those will incur
random I/O, often completely random I/O, but by and large it would be
a matter of swallowing that cost sooner, through using your tool,
rather than later, during the execution of queries.

--
Peter Geoghegan