Re: xid wraparound danger due to INDEX_CLEANUP false

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: xid wraparound danger due to INDEX_CLEANUP false
Date: 2020-04-16 01:11:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 4:57 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I seem to recall Simon raising this issue at the time that the patch
> was being discussed, and I thought that we had eventually decided that
> it was OK for some reason. But I don't remember the details, and it is
> possible that we got it wrong. :-(

It must be unreliable because it's based on something that is known to
be unreliable:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/nbtree/README;h=c5b0a30e4ebd4fe3bd4a6f8192284c452d1170b9;hb=refs/heads/REL_12_STABLE#l331

Also, the commit message of 6655a729 says that nbtree has had this
problem "since time immemorial". I am planning to work on that
problem, eventually.

--
Peter Geoghegan