Re: Cleaning up nbtree after logical decoding on standby work

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up nbtree after logical decoding on standby work
Date: 2023-06-08 15:50:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 8, 2023 at 7:22 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> IMO this kind of change definitely does not have place in a post-beta1
> restructuring patch. We rarely indulge in case-fixing exercises at any
> other time, and I don't see any good argument why post-beta1 is a better
> time for it.

There is a glaring inconsistency. Now about half of the relevant
functions in nbtree.h use "heaprel", while the other half use
"heapRel". Obviously that's not the end of the world, but it's
annoying. It's exactly the kind of case-fixing exercise that does tend
to happen.

I'm not going to argue this point any further, though. I will make
this change at a later date. That will introduce an inconsistency
between branches, of course, but apparently there isn't any
alternative.

> I suggest that you should strive to keep the patch as
> small as possible.

Attached is v4, which goes back to using "heaprel" in new-to-16 code.
As a result, it is slightly smaller than v3.

My new plan is to commit this tomorrow, since the clear consensus is
that we should go ahead with this for 16.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-nbtree-Allocate-new-pages-in-separate-function.patch application/octet-stream 56.5 KB