Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11

From: Derek Hans <derek(dot)hans(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11
Date: 2019-03-04 14:00:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Based on a reply to reporting this as a bug, moving rows out of foreign
partitions is not yet implemented so this is behaving as expected. There's
a mention of this limitation in the Notes section of the Update docs.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:12 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 2019-Feb-22, Derek Hans wrote:
>
> > I've set up 2 instances of PostgreSQL 11. On instance A, I created a
> table
> > with 2 local partitions and 2 partitions on instance B using foreign data
> > wrappers, following https://pgdash.io/blog/postgres-11-sharding.html.
> > Inserting rows into this table works as expected, with rows ending up in
> > the appropriate partition. However, updating those rows only moves them
> > across partitions in some of the situations:
> >
> > - From local partition to local partition
> > - From local partition to foreign partition
> >
> > Rows are not moved
> >
> > - From foreign partition to local partition
> > - From foreign partition to foreign partition
> >
> > Is this the expected behavior? Am I missing something or configured
> > something incorrectly?
>
> Sounds like a bug to me.
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

*Derek*
+1 (415) 754-0519 | derek(dot)hans(at)gmail(dot)com | Skype: derek.hans