Re: Wiki editor request: Fixing Sequences

From: Joe Krill <joe(at)joekrill(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wiki editor request: Fixing Sequences
Date: 2018-03-27 21:14:04
Lists: pgsql-www

Thanks Álvaro! I hadn't considered that the sequence could be in a
different schema. I was only using the `quote_foo` functions because the
existing query uses it, but using format definitely makes it much easier to
read. I'm not totally clear on what needs to be cast to a regclass, though.
Would you mind elaborating on that? All of the oid comparisons are to other
oid types, so I didn't think there was a need to cast. But this is getting
a bit outside of my scope of knowledge on this stuff.

Here's the updated query using format and the correct schema:

SELECT
format('SELECT SETVAL(''%I.%I'', COALESCE(MAX(%I), 1) ) FROM %I.%I;',
SEQUENCE_SCHEMAS.nspname, SEQUENCES.relname, COLUMNS.attname,
TABLE_SCHEMAS.nspname, TABLES.relname)
FROM pg_class SEQUENCES
INNER JOIN pg_namespace SEQUENCE_SCHEMAS ON SEQUENCE_SCHEMAS.oid =
SEQUENCES.relnamespace
INNER JOIN pg_depend ON pg_depend.objid = SEQUENCES.oid
INNER JOIN pg_attribute COLUMNS ON COLUMNS.attrelid = pg_depend.refobjid
AND COLUMNS.attnum = pg_depend.refobjsubid
INNER JOIN pg_class TABLES ON TABLES.oid = COLUMNS.attrelid
INNER JOIN pg_namespace TABLE_SCHEMAS ON TABLE_SCHEMAS.oid =
TABLES.relnamespace
WHERE SEQUENCES.relkind = 'S';

Thanks,

Joe