Re: Parallel grouping sets

From: Pengzhou Tang <ptang(at)pivotal(dot)io>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Guo <riguo(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Parallel grouping sets
Date: 2020-03-19 16:38:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks you to review this patch.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 10:09 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> unfortunately this got a bit broken by the disk-based hash aggregation,
> committed today, and so it needs a rebase. I've started looking at the
> patch before that, and I have it rebased on e00912e11a9e (i.e. the
> commit before the one that breaks it).

I spent the day to look into the details of the hash spill patch and
finally can
successfully rebase it, I tested the first 5 patches and they all passed the
installcheck, the 0006-parallel-xxx.path is not tested yet and I also need
make hash spill work in the final stage of parallel grouping sets, will do
that
tomorrow.

the conflicts mainly located in the handling of hash spill for grouping
sets,
the 0004-reorganise-xxxx patch also make the refilling the hash table stage
easier and
can avoid the nullcheck in that stage.

Attached is the rebased patch series (now broken), with a couple of
> commits with some minor cosmetic changes I propose to make (easier than
> explaining it on a list, it's mostly about whitespace, comments etc).
> Feel free to reject the changes, it's up to you.

Thanks, I will enhance the comments and take care of the whitespace.

I'll continue doing the review, but it'd be good to have a fully rebased
> version.

Very appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pengzhou