Re: Large scale reliable software system

From: Tony Shelver <tshelver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large scale reliable software system
Date: 2023-06-27 10:49:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 07:08, Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Correct. It’s a tragically wrong piece of folk wisdom that’s pretty
> general across web development communities.
>
> On Jun 26, 2023, at 21:32, Michael Nolan <htfoot(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> It's not just Ruby, dumb databases are preferred in projects like
> WordPress, Drupal and Joomla, too.
>
> Now, if it's because they're used to using MySQL, well maybe that's
> not so hard to understand. :-)
>
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 8:05 PM Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

> This is a reasonable answer, but I want to offer a caveat.
>
> Likely because of the influence of the originator of Ruby on Rails, it is
> close to holy writ in the web development community that the database must
> be treated as a dumb data bucket and all business logic must be implemented
> in the Ruby or Python or whatever back end code.
>
> This heuristic is nearly always mostly wrong.
>
> Guyren G Howe
> On Jun 26, 2023 at 17:48 -0700, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>,
> wrote:
>
> On 6/26/23 16:48, B M wrote:
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com
>

> The accepted front-end developer wisdom of treating the DB as a dumb data
store works under conditions, for example the DB will never be accessed
from a different ORM / framework, and where the performance attributes of
using an ORM with 'standard' datastructures are acceptable.

The moment you need to plug in something like reporting tools, or access
from a different system / API / framework / language / ORM or whatever, the
approach not having rules / views / procedures / whatever built into the
database falls apart.

Other things to consider are performance / load / overhead: we have one
system that involves processing through large amounts of data for reports /
queries. Shipping all that back through the ORM / db interface (ODBC /
JDBC / psycopg2 / whatever for resolution / filtering on the front end
application where SQL / procedures / views could do that in the DB and just
ship back the required data seems counterproductive.

Tony Shelver