Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tables are not supported

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Treat <rob(at)xzilla(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Remove mention in docs that foreign keys on partitioned tables are not supported
Date: 2018-07-05 03:34:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 6:44 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Well, as far as I know, it's up to me which parts of your emails I want to
> quote in my reply. I did read this part. It did not change my opinion. My
> fundamental objection to your proposal is that I think it is too wordy. I
> think users will generally know whether they are using partitioning or
> inheritance, and if they don't it's not hard to figure out. I don't think
> quoting only part of what you wrote made the quote misleading, but it did
> allow me to express my opinion.

I would usually believe that people have read complete email before
replying. But when the reply raises a question without quoting a
portion of my mail which I think has the answer, I am confused.
There's no straight forward method to avoid that confusion given it's
written and turn based communication. But I try to get clarity on that
confusion.

> I understand that you don't agree, which is
> fine, but I stand by my position.

I am fine with disagreement, now that I know why there's disagreement.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat