Re: pgsql: Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions
Date: 2018-07-05 03:33:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2018-07-04 13:15:19 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Jun-30, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > > Fix crash when ALTER TABLE recreates indexes on partitions
> >
> > So ... buildfarm member skink has been reporting a valgrind failure
> > during initdb since this patch went in. However, I'm unable to reproduce
> > such a failure here, and it's less than obvious how this particular patch
> > could have caused a problem, and skink's report is pretty useless because
> > it's providing only a numeric stack trace. Thoughts?
>
> Actually, older branches are failing in the same way, so it's not my
> patch that caused it to fail. Something must have changed in the system ...
> Andres?

I spent a fair amount of time trying to dig into this. It appears to be
related to a binutils update. Everything built with a binutils version <
2.30.90.20180627-1 (in my case 2.30-22) works correctly with
valgrind. If rebuilt after an upgrade it doesn't. Still trying to
narrow down further.

Greetings,

Andres Freund