Re: Diagonal storage model

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Diagonal storage model
Date: 2018-04-02 11:57:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 3:49 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>>
>> I want to announce new model, "diagonal storage" which combines benefits
>> of both approaches.
>> The idea is very simple: we first store column 1 of first record, then
>> column 2 of second record, ... and so on until we reach the last column.
>> After it we store second column of first record, third column of the
>> second record,...
>

> I'm a little worried about the fact that even with this model we're still
> limited to only two dimensions. That's bound to cause problems sooner or
> later.

How about a 3D storage model, whose first dimension gives horizontal
view, second provides vertical or columnar view and third one provides
diagonal view. It also provides capability to add extra dimensions to
provide additional views like double diagonal view. Alas! it all
collapses since I was late to the party.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat