Re: Multi column range partition table

From: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi column range partition table
Date: 2017-06-30 09:04:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Alright, I spent some time implementing a patch to allow specifying
> -infinity and +infinity in arbitrary ways. Of course, it prevents
> nonsensical inputs with appropriate error messages.

I don't think -infinity and +infinity are the right terms. For a
string or character data type there is no -infinity and +infinity.
Similarly for enums. We need to extend UNBOUNDED somehow to indicate
the end of a given type in the given direction. I thought about
UNBOUNDED LEFT/RIGHT but then whether LEFT indicates -ve side or +side
would cause confusion. Also LEFT/RIGHT may work for a single
dimensional datatype but not for multi-dimensional spaces. How about
MINIMUM/MAXIMUM or UNBOUNDED MIN/MAX to indicate the extremities.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat